Sony Ericsson is keen to start 2011 in style with strong additions to the XPERIA line up to please every taste. The Arc is the one true flagship, the Pro is the business messenger and the Play is the gaming smart phone. What’s Neo then? The Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo has the appearance of a Vivaz and an Android heart. Is this what the original Vivaz should have been? A conclusion would be premature at this point but consider the advantages. Android instead of the rough around the edges Symbian, bigger and better display, multi touch support and great processing power. The XPERIA Neo is stopping in for a quick preview and we want to make the best of the short time we have with it before it’s released.
The XPERIA Neo runs the exact same Android 2.3.3 software as the Arc, also squeezing in an 8 megapixel Exmor R image sensor capable of recording HD video.
Physically, the XPERIA Neo is fatter than the skinny Xperia Arc, but it has the same three physical button layouts, Back, Home and Menu, beneath its screen. The display runs at 450 x 854 resolutions, and is bright, perfectly readable outdoors if you stick it up to maximum brightness, fast and responsive in use.
Features and Specifications
- Hardware: The Neo is a shiny, silvery, shimmering thing, with an excellent, sharp screen. The camera produces great pictures and 720p videos, while the single core processor is surprisingly fast. It’s perhaps a little light in the hand and the three main buttons would benefit from being slightly more and slightly less plastic, but overall there are no glaring weaknesses.
- Software: Sony Ericsson’s simple approach to skinning Android is rather nice, with excellent Facebook integration for those who spend half their days on the social site.
- Memory: It has a 320 MB storage, 512 MB RAM and 8 GB micro SD card included with expandable up to 32 GB
- DATA: GPRS, EDGE, 3G, WLAN, HSDPA, Wi-Fi, USB
- Other Features: Scratch resistant surface, Accelerometer sensor for auto rotate, Multi touch input method, Sony Mobile BRAVIA Engine, Proximity sensor for auto turn off, timescape UI
- Processor: 1GHz Scorpion processor, Adreno 205 GPU, Qualcomm MSM 8255 Snapdragon
- Battery: Standard Battery, Li-Po 1500 mAh, up to 430 hrs 2G, up to 400 hrs 3G, Talk time life is 6 hrs 55 minutes for 2G and 7 hrs for 3G
Prices: Prices haven’t been revealed yet